The Label,

3 posters

Go down

The Label,  Empty The Label,

Post by Guest Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Tell me your thoughts on the labels that we apply ourselves to,
Negative and positive ones used by others to us.
Such as nerd,geek,otaku,etc in the positive category,

A few questions that if you wish you may answer as well.

Do you feel they are a necessity?

Do you think that they are accurate?

Do you shape yourself around said labels or just use them as a common reference to who you are?

The expected three lets see shall we,

Back to top Go down

The Label,  Empty Re: The Label,

Post by Sherflow Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:23 pm

If we didn't label things then things would get disorganized, I'm down for individuality but If everyone but too much of "I'm my man/woman" can lead to entitlement and conflict (Other Kin).

We have labels for a reason, and nowadays moulding yourself around standard labels will just get you stamped with "weirdo" or "Hipster" mark.

And if you insist on not being labeled, then you'll just get hit with a "Poser" stamp. If you don't care, then don't declare.

I do on the the other hand, like labels. we have them for a reason.
Sherflow
Sherflow
LEVEL 5
LEVEL 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:00 pm

I don't mind calling myself an otaku, but society has attached so many stereotypes to the titles that it has become an insult of sort to call someone else an otaku.

I don't think they're unnecessary, but they're certainly misused as is.

Back to top Go down

Post by rinatanchu Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:52 pm

I think that those type of labels can be claimed as positive things. Even if they already hold a strong negative connentation, they can be turned to posivitive.

I think it is nessary, or at least somewhat, to have labels or a general label, so people can come together with a common interest or common experiences and support one another.

For example, at my university, there is a place that is unofficially and infamously known as "The Corner." There, people who like D&D, anime and manga and other J-pop culture, western cartoons and comic, and other geek culture like magic the gathering and others card games come together to eat lunch, talk, draw, do homework, or play games. We may not all be the same type of geek, but we all have a passion that is important to us and we interact with each. I think we do well because we understand each other's experience; we know what it is like to have something we love and also be made fun of for a large part of our lives. It is like a safe haven for us geeks.

So I think it is important to identify yourself with a community and also has allies cuz there is strength in numbers.
rinatanchu
rinatanchu
LEVEL 1
LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Takumi of the Wind Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:47 pm

I don't mind having a geek label. I embrace it as part of myself, and I am very proud to have the passions that I have . It sets me apart as an individual as much as it gives me an entire spectrum of people to relate to. On top of that, a lot of my geeky passions have inspired my life and really helped bring me together as a person.

That being said, I believe "otaku" is considered an insult in Japanese culture, often referring to a lazy, obsessive person.
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

http://www.the-dark-alliance.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Sorry for the late response but I appreciate the viewpoints you all have, thank you.

Now to address them,

Sherflow your statement bears  truth to the matter generalizations and labels both provide positive benefits by themselves. Organization is one of the key positives,

However with that said they also create a misunderstanding of people who don't necessarily fit in between certain ones or simply don't go to par with the label, one of the more known problems by example,

A balance would be useful in this matter, one that normally isn't applied thus leading to the negatives.  My suggestion is to replace certain values we associate with labels in the first place, at least the negative aspects. If we were just to remove them completely though it would lead to undesirable outcomes for most people since it is such a common practice to apply them.

Key That is correct as well many generalizations are applied to labels especially smaller niches that are less known which are more prone to assumptions thrown about, until the community can agree on what they are defined as,

As for the word otaku, I think its one of the more flexible ones despite the points that follow you, since the actual definition implies any hobby for the most part to a obsessed degree.
Thus you are able to use otaku for many things if you really wish too,

Rinatanchu
I was referring to any label in case your wondering I was just using those on here as example and common reference that most people would have experienced.

That is true one of the benefits of labels is to be able to form groups of likeminded people. They serve as a guide used primarily as the  base form anyways until you apply certain thoughts and whatnot to define them that is.  Labels by themselves do not really cause problems,

Takumi Yes it actually is a insult in japan although we normally waive it around more freely over here, The actual origin specifically of the word is hard to pinpoint down though, since I am curious how it came to be and spread like wildfire, Some suggest it is from a magazine in the 1980s where the word was used, while others say it could be associated with a novel by motoko,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum