Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)`

5 posters

Go down

Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)` Empty Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)`

Post by Bryan Dacote Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 am

I was thinking about this today and I think this will make an interested topic. I'm not sure to have this in this category (Written Works And Art) or the Serious Talk category. This is more of a discussion than posting your work thread.

Anyhoo; I've heard the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" and I was thinking this is wrong. I've seen a lot of pictures of all forms. Traditional, digital, parody, comic, web-comics, serious works, surreal works, ect. I went through an art shop in High School and studied art. Even now I don't really understand it even now. I found out I prefer writing. Its my art form of choice.

I know that phrase is an idiom. Because I have written something like 60 chapters in total at least for various stories. Mostly fan-fiction but I have dabbled into original writing here and there. Even writing some original short stories back in high school and my word count per chapter is usually about 1,200 words.
I can accomplish a lot in just 1000 words. I've written fighting scenes where it'd take at least 5-20 pictures to cover my fights. Do the math that's at least 5000 words (1 picture = 1000 words so therefor 5000 words) to one of my chapters which is a mere 1200. So I can cover a lot which only takes having some imagination and some proper spelling and grammar.

I know that's too technical against art. And I'm not saying written works are better. Pictures can show feelings on a face words can not describe. But words can also describe other things pictures can not.

What's your view/opinion? I side on written works because as a writer I feel I can do more than an artist can. But that's me.
Bryan Dacote
Bryan Dacote
Admin Bry
Admin Bry

http://www.blargaria.com

Back to top Go down

Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)` Empty Re: Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)`

Post by jordan_mikuza Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 am

YES yes it is
at times both art and writing has a form of emotion behind it
*coughs* so uhh yeahhhh bye *throws ninja smoke bomb*
jordan_mikuza
jordan_mikuza
Full Moderator J
Full Moderator J

Back to top Go down

Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)` Empty Re: Is a picture really worth a thousand words? (Art VS Writing debate)`

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Interesting question. But I'm pretty sure the idiom doesn't refer to art per se.

After all, writings and drawings just have different ways of showing and expressing things. Picking one over the other as superior is futile considering it all depends on one's personal tastes.

That's my opinion at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artist_Reborn Fri May 01, 2015 6:34 pm

@key ~ my thoughts exactly
Artist_Reborn
Artist_Reborn
LEVEL 3
LEVEL 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyera Fri May 01, 2015 8:33 pm

each person has different talent. You not good in this but you good for that.
Hyera
Hyera
BG MASCOT
BG MASCOT

http://hyerahizyb.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero2 Sun May 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I believe the whole "picture's worth a thousand words" phrase refers to all the different reactions or thoughts different people may have by viewing the same picture. It's more open-ended depending on the viewer's opinion.

Writing on the other hand is clear right there before you on the page. There's no changing the words before you, since they're already established, but the image someone has in their mind while reading the words will differ from person to person.

Now that you brought this up, I realize it's interesting how a picture translates to an infinite possibility of words, while words translate to an infinite possibility of images in the mind.
Zero2
Zero2
LEVEL 2
LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down