The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested

5 posters

Go down

The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested Empty The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested

Post by Takumi of the Wind Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm

On MO there is a thread dedicated to the ups and downs of moving/wanting to move/living in Japan.

Nothing against the country itself, Japan is an amazing place to experience. Particularly on the cultural level. However, being anime/manga fans, otaku, etc....we tend to have a false understanding on what the country of Japan is actually like. It tends to be overly glorified and romanticized. Mostly, we have to blame our Otaku culture for that.

I'm also not starting anything, but I'd like to discuss the concepts of Japan, the ups and down, and other material related to it here as well. Not only to enlighten people, but to also form a greater understanding that the fallacy of media presents to us on a subcultural level.

---

Positives:
Great food
Amazing geography
Extremely innovative developments in technology
Diverse subculture groups
Low Crime
Politeness
Fascinating Historical culture

Negatives:
Extremely xenophobic towards other cultures/races
Racist as fuck
Poor treatment of women
Conservative outlooks
Low-tech attachments and anchors
Botched economy
Politeness (like somebody stated, true thoughts are hidden)
Most of everything is mandated by a majority population that is older (60 or above years)
Poor availability when it comes to anything medical (Their hospitals are only open from certain times, you aren't guaranteed being seen, no insurance, and they are closed on the weekends)
High expectations in work culture. Gods forbid you get sick or are late.
Anime/Manga are, by majority, seen as a childish thing
Entertainment Industry isn't as flashy as you think (usually boring or sub-par, censored)
Weapon Laws (No guns or swords. A big downside to our collectors)
Extensive process for foreigners to acquire a drivers liscense, etc.
Requirement to learn Japanese, fluently, or constantly have a translator.
Businesses have full rights to refuse you service based on their views of you as a customer (race, ethnicity, lack of language skills, etc)
Heavy reliance on cash-money over alternative payment methods, and it already costs a lot moving or visiting the country.
Lack of living space
Lack of easily financed housing
Lack of housing fit for seasonal changes (many Japanese houses/establishments lack heaters for instance, though they do contain air conditioning)

----

There are many more negatives, but I'll leave them out for personal research. That being said, the youth culture in Japan is more open minded than the older population, but they are in the minority.

Most of the "Great" that comes out of Japan is idealized through Anime and Manga, so it creates a false dichotomy in the perception of the country. That being said, I love Japan for what it has positively, but as I grew up I learned that it's probably not a place I'd want to live. I would love to visit it, however.

---

In the end, I would not stop somebody from moving to Japan if they wanted to move to Japan for the sake of moving to Japan. I would expect these people to have valid reasons outside of otaku culture (which is generally a bad thing in Japanese culture) for wanting to live there. Being said, if you are only wanting to go to Japan for the sake of otaku culture, you are going to be greatly disappointed, so please do more research before you consider your options.

---

I'd like to take this time to say, once again, Japan is an amazing country with a very unique and diverse history. Despite the flaws in it's culture, the culture of Japan is something to be both respected and admired as an outsider, as are all cultures. They, as people, have a right to believe and perform as they do, just as well all do. I can only hope in the future that our world comes closer together, and that we can understand each other more fully than we ever have.
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

http://www.the-dark-alliance.com

Back to top Go down

The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested Empty Re: The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested

Post by Raven Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 pm

pretty cool.
Raven
Raven
LEVEL 11
LEVEL 11

http://www.kawaii-levi-rivaille.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested Empty Re: The Ups and Downs of Japan: For those interested

Post by Takumi of the Wind Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Thank you. I thought it would be a good thing to post. I enjoy educating others and sharing information/ideas.
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:58 am

I'm just fed up with people obsessing over the idea of going to Japan. It's too serious of a decision to take JUST because of anime, considering itis actually not that well viewed over there and society isn't that acceptant of "gaijins" in the first place.

Read, learn and assimilate first. Then you can decided whether you want to throw the dice and play weeaboo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Takumi of the Wind Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 am

Key wrote:I'm just fed up with people obsessing over the idea of going to Japan. It's too serious of a decision to take JUST because of anime, considering itis actually not that well viewed over there and society isn't that acceptant of "gaijins" in the first place.

Read, learn and assimilate first. Then you can decided whether  you want to throw the dice and play weeaboo.

I agree. I also like to blame sheer naivety. I was also on the bandwagon until I actually "grew up".
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2015 5:56 pm

I often find that whenever I try to make an argument about this, people tend to disregard my opinions as mere words, claiming that their love for anime and Japan is enough to push'em through anything.

Of course, I'd beg to differ, especially now that I've the opportunity to spend some quality time over there. It ain't just lolis and roses...

Back to top Go down

Post by Takumi of the Wind Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Yeah. It's the fallacy created due to naivety and just generally misinformation presented by media sources. Eventually they learn.
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan_mikuza Fri May 08, 2015 7:24 am

yeah this will definitely change peoples ideas of going to japan it kind of changed mine but i mean it doesn't mean I won't visit there I mean I'm still gonna go just probably not move there
jordan_mikuza
jordan_mikuza
Full Moderator J
Full Moderator J

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyera Fri May 08, 2015 8:21 am

Takumi wrote:Anime/Manga are, by majority, seen as a childish thing

Majority of east asian peoples thinking this way. Adults must act as an adult. Cosplay/costume only to entertain people(attract customers) / promote products.
Hyera
Hyera
BG MASCOT
BG MASCOT

http://hyerahizyb.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gwidhw Fri May 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Key wrote:...

...It ain't just lolis and roses...

And therein lies the problem :l
...seriously, though, I'm sure there's a lot of reasons to move to Japan, but like anything else, it needs to be carefully thought out, planned, and prepped for. It's not something to do just because of otaku culture, for sure.

Good thread! I like it Smile
gwidhw
gwidhw
Full Moderator
Full Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Takumi of the Wind Sat May 09, 2015 12:34 am

jordan_mikuza wrote:yeah this will definitely change peoples ideas of going to japan it kind of changed mine but i mean it doesn't mean I won't visit there I mean I'm still gonna go just probably not move there

Indeed. It's definitely a place worth visiting if you are a person who likes to broaden their perspective on culture. Also, the country itself is very beautiful to experience.

gwidhw wrote:
Key wrote:...

...It ain't just lolis and roses...

And therein lies the problem :l
...seriously, though, I'm sure there's a lot of reasons to move to Japan, but like anything else, it needs to be carefully thought out, planned, and prepped for. It's not something to do just because of otaku culture, for sure.

Good thread! I like it Smile

Thank you! It makes me sad how overshadowed the reality of Japan is because of western otaku culture. And yes, we are each our own individuals, so I won't stop somebody from moving there. But it's bad to on a whim, which is why it pays to be educated on the culture and the country itself. Otherwise, like I stated, you're going to end up being miserable. Never move to another country without knowing more about the country, it's culture, and be fully prepared to integrate yourself outside of one or two things you like about that country.
Takumi of the Wind
Takumi of the Wind
LEVEL 7
LEVEL 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2015 4:42 am

Oh guys, for those who have been there yet, Japan is AMAZING! It's so clean, it's so beautiful... God knows how much I enjoyed my time there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyera Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am

Key wrote:Oh guys, for those who have been there yet, Japan is AMAZING! It's so clean, it's so beautiful... God knows how much I enjoyed my time there.

i've been there too.
Hyera
Hyera
BG MASCOT
BG MASCOT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Hyera wrote:
Key wrote:Oh guys, for those who have been there yet, Japan is AMAZING! It's so clean, it's so beautiful... God knows how much I enjoyed my time there.

i've been there too.

And what's your take on it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyera Sat May 16, 2015 4:47 pm

i've told you before. one of my brothers living in kyoto.
Hyera
Hyera
BG MASCOT
BG MASCOT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Hyera wrote:i've told you before. one of my brothers living in kyoto.

Hyera, if you don't understand what someone says, you can always just ask.
Don't answer before knowing what's being asked of you. It will come in handy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyera Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 am

sorry
Hyera
Hyera
BG MASCOT
BG MASCOT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down